Apply for a scholarship!
The University of Minnesota is now accepting applications for the Harry S. Truman Scholarship.
The scholarship is awarded to students who will pursue careers in public service, government, education, or nonprofits.
Scholars receive up to $30,000 for their future graduate or professional education and have the opportunity to participate in valuable leadership and internship programs, including Truman Scholars Leadership Week the summer after junior year. An optional summer institute in Washington, D.C. is offered the summer after graduation.
Applicants must be U.S. citizens and college juniors planning to attend graduate or professional school. Community service, political activism, leadership, and excellent communication skills are highly valued.
The application deadline is 4 p.m., Friday, Nov. 18, 2016.
Send the following application materials to Timothy Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit hard copies to Timothy Jones, University Honors Program, Suite 390, Northrop, 84 Church St. SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455.
Your application must include the following:
- Sample application form
- A one-paragraph summary of the topic you will write about for your Policy Proposal if you are nominated, on a separate sheet. Include the name and title of the public official you will address.
- Transcripts from all institutions at which you have earned college credit. Unofficial transcripts or photocopies are acceptable at this stage.
- Three letters of recommendation:
- A letter from a faculty member (must be a professor) addressing your “Intellect and Prospects”
- A letter addressing your “Leadership Potential and Abilities”
- A letter addressing your “Commitment to a Career in Public Service”
For more information about the Harry S. Truman Scholarship, visit truman.gov.
CSE Student Services