Thursday, September 28, 2017

Apply for nationally competitive public service scholarships

Second-, third-, and fourth-year students can apply to several nationally competitive public service scholarships.
Apply for these scholarships!

For second-year students

Mount Vernon Leadership Fellowship
Spend six weeks in the summer following your sophomore year working with a cohort of peers and professional mentors to develop a personal capstone project. Students from all majors with proven leadership ability and community involvement are welcome, but projects must be oriented toward public service and resources are oriented toward public policy and government.

Applications open in October with a deadline in February.

Apply for a Mount Vernon Leadership Fellowship.

For second or third-year students

Udall Scholarship
Udall Scholarships pay up to $7,000 toward a year of undergraduate expenses. Winners are also invited to a five-day orientation weekend in Tucson with all expenses paid. Applicants must be either Native American students who are planning careers in Native Health Care or Tribal Policy or students of any heritage who are interested in environmental and conservation issues. Successful applicants will have a substantial record of public service, commitment to working toward solutions for significant challenges, and experience inspiring others and building consensus to resolve problems.

The campus deadline for applications will be Jan. 22, 2018.

Apply for a Udall Scholarship.

For third-year students

Truman Scholarship
Truman Scholarships pay $30,000 to cover the costs of graduate education for students committed to careers in public service. Truman scholars also participate in leadership development activities and have opportunities to complete internships with the federal government. Successful Truman applicants are passionate about creating change in some area of public life. They may be majoring in anything but should plan to complete a degree in law, public administration, public health, education, social work, international affairs, or similar program. They must have excellent written and spoken communication skills and be able to hold their own in vigorous discussions of public policy. The University of Minnesota can nominate four candidates for the national contest.

The campus deadline is Nov. 17, 2017.

Apply for a Truman Scholarship.

PPIA Fellowship
PPIA Fellowships cover the expenses of a Junior Summer Institute and at least $5,000 to cover the expenses of a Master’s degree program. Applicants must be juniors committed to completing a Master’s Degree in public or international affairs at a consortium school (including the UMTC Humphrey School) and with a demonstrated interest in pursuing a career in government, humanitarian or nonprofit organizations, or other public service. U. S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible, and economic need is considered in the review of applications.

Applications are due Nov. 1, 2017.

Apply for a PPIA Fellowship.

For fourth-year students

James C. Gaither Junior Fellows Program
The James C. Gaither Junior Fellows Program provides a full year of funding to work as a research assistant for one of the senior fellows at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Successful applicants will have superior research and writing ability as well as relevant work, coursework, and internship experience. Open to U. S. citizens and international students eligible to work in the U. S. Applicants must be nominated by the University of Minnesota.

The campus deadline is Dec. 8, 2017.

Apply for the James C. Gaither Junior Fellows Program.

Gates Cambridge Scholarship
Gates Cambridge Scholarships cover the costs of completing a full-time post-graduate degree at the University of Cambridge in any subject. Applicants must demonstrate outstanding intellectual ability, leadership potential, and a commitment to improving the lives of others. Both U. S. citizens and international students may apply.

The deadline for U. S. applicants is in mid-October and for international students at the beginning of December. Applicants must also apply to an academic program at Cambridge.

Apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.

For more information about national scholarships, contact
CSE Student Services