Friday, March 22, 2024

Apply to be a CSE Outreach Assistant by Friday, April 5

CSE is hiring student Outreach Assistants (OAs) for the summer. As an OA, you will facilitate welcoming and inclusive programs for diverse students in grades 8-12 to explore science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) college and career pathways. Inspire and equip the next generation of scientists, engineers, and mathematicians while you develop transferable skills like leadership, teamwork, and communication. Apply now!

Inspire the next generation!

Inspire and equip the next generation of scientists, engineers, and mathematicians while you develop transferable skills like leadership, teamwork, and communication! 

CSE is hiring student Outreach Assistants (OAs) for the summer who will facilitate welcoming and inclusive programs for diverse students in grades 8-12 to explore science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) college and career pathways.

About the job

This seasonal position will start Monday, June 10, and end Friday, Aug. 16, 2024.

Work hours will be 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday with the exception of Thursday, July 4, which is the University holiday observing Independence Day.

The strongest applicants for the CSE Outreach Assistant positions will be CSE students with a strong academic background who have previous outreach experience and have worked with diverse populations of students.

OA alumni testimonials

"As an Outreach Assistant, I enjoyed the work environment and the impact I made by promoting STEM to younger generations. Through collaborative teamwork, I learned how to manage and help facilitate activities and lessons. And I gained valuable skills that make me a better leader, communicator, and goal-setter. The people around me really made an effort to support me through my professional development."
—Kunga N., 2023 Outreach Assistant

"As an outreach assistant, I worked with great people and gained transferable skills in leadership, communication, and professionalism. A great aspect of the job was facilitating presentations from UMN faculty, which helped me understand my own future academic and professional goals."
—Elena B, 2021 Outreach Assistant

"The Outreach Assistant position helped me to become a more confident public speaker. I also gained experience leading and managing groups, and learned how teams function in a work setting."
—Alanna C., 2021 Outreach Assistant

"The opportunity to create lesson plans and express complex scientific ideas in a way appropriate for younger students helped me develop the very important skill of translating technical information to simpler language. Collaborating across organizations was also a huge plus!"
—Ledare S., 2020 Outreach Assistant

Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check.

To Apply

For a full position description and to apply, please visit the student employment website and search for job ID #359972.

--
CSE Student Services
612-624-5091
csess@umn.edu